Friday, November 23, 2007

The Roll Recipe







My friend Karen asked if I would be willing to share the family roll recipe. I'm so psyched that it turned out for me that I'm happy to spread the love (and the recipe).

Aunt Pat's Rolls (perfected by sister Colleen) & finally mastered by moi
1/3 cup sugar plus 2 extra tsps.
1/4 cup shortening (use Crisco, if possible)
1/2 cup milk (1% or 2% is fine)
1/2 cup cream or 1/2 & 1/2
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup water heated to 110 degrees (use thermometer, don't guess)
1 egg @ room temperature, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
*****************************************************
Add 2 tsps. sugar to yeast and add warm water, let yeast and sugar dissolve.

Melt shortening with milk and cream (or 1/2 & 1/2) in small saucepan. When shortening is melted milk is scalded to correct temperature. In a mixing bowl fitted with regular beater or food processor fitted with blade mix 1/3 cup sugar, scalded milks; add yeast mixture and egg. If using a stand alone mixer such as a Kitchen-Aid now switch from beater to dough hook attachment. Add the salt and flour gradually until incorporated. Continue mixing for about 2 minuts until dough is not sticking to the sides.



Turn the dough mixture out onto a floured board and knead by hand 1-2 turns then add to greased bowl and cover with warm, wet dishtowel. Let rise in warm place. (I put my dough on top of my electric oven while it was on or inside the oven on about 125 degrees with the door slightly ajar.) After the dough has doubled in size punch it down and knead again on floured board and shape into rolls. Let the shaped rolls rise again for 1-2 hours in the same warm enviornment as the first rising.



Bake at 350 degress on a dark pan (not glass) for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

crazierinreallife said...

thanks so much gaye. I just copied and pasted the recipe. This will take me a while b/c I suck with yeast things